Adam Jones (@AdamJonesEd) attended Miami Device in November of 2014. Did I meet him then? Like so much else during those two days, I just can't recall. It all happened so quickly. However, Adam did catch my attention with his tweets and other social media interactions. I later learned that he would be starting a podcast and I showed interest in being part of this new endeavor. Of course, I wanted to learn a bit about Adam himself so after a little Googling, I came across Proctor Academy in Andover, New Hampshire where he is the EdTech Integration Specialist. The type of experiential learning students have the opportunity to have at Proctor Academy is beyond amazing!
It was a real pleasure to be on the AdamJonesEd Podcast. It felt like we were just sitting and chatting more than a Q&A interview. Feel free to have a listen and give me your thoughts. Be sure to also catch the episode with Craig Badura (@MrBadura) as it's full of all sorts of EdTech goodness!
In this session of the Adam Jones Education Podcast, I chat with Felix Jacomino – founder of the Miami Device Learning Event, and Director of Technology at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Day School in Coconut Grove, FL. I had the privilege of meeting Felix in November as a participant at the inaugural Miami Device. He is down to earth, direct, enthusiastic and fully committed to supporting systems that produce learning.
In this episode:
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal Day School educational technology evolution.
- Questions about EdTech tools almost always point to questions about pedagogy.
- Some of Felix’s ideas for new schools:
- Rethink standardized testing.
- Rethink grouping kids by age.
- Rethink how we’d grade students, if at all.
- Creating conditions where students could fail and learn without fear.
- “Miami Device is a learning event – not a technology conference. Important distinction with the correct emphasis.”
- Felix’s EdTech Heroes:
- Kathy Schrock (@kathyschrock)
- Tony Vincent (@tonyvincent)
- Carl Hooker (@mrhooker)
- Lisa Johnson (@TechChef4u)
- Jon Samuelson (@jonsamuelson) formerly @ipadsammy
- Greg Garner (@classroom_tech)
- George Couros (@gcouros)
- Vicki Davis (@coolcatteacher)
- Kyle Pace (@kylepace)
- Holly Clark (@HollyClarkEdu) and Tanya Avrith (@TanyaAvrith) (EduSlam Podcast)
- Tom Whitby (@tomwhitby)
- Susan Bearden (@s_bearden) (Tweechme App)
- Upcoming Professional Development: